The operational definition of irony exists for the provider who loses his cool.
Great internal conflict is created whenever we scar the very people we care most about.
Unfortunately, life as a human being is a messy business.
We can learn how to reinvent ourselves as the calm, collected care giver that we originally set out to become.
Anyone, can become a person who manages anger well; even in the face of great adversity and struggle.
Whenever, I feel my thermostat beginning to rise, I employ 5 strategic processes in order to keep myself in check.
Truth be told, I have lost my better judgment on several occasions and that has caused me great regret.
Here are 5 techniques that I have learned to employ for situational diffusion and they have saved my bacon on a regular basis:
- Lengthen the space between stimulus and response. I try to think before I speak or react by counting to ten slowly in my head before I open my mouth. The mind has a tremendous ability to improve it’s perspective in just 10 short seconds.
- I ask myself if this will matter in 1, 3, or even 5 years. I’m tired of creating lifelong regrets over a spur of the moment issue. How about you?
- I imagine myself as a cool cucumber with a reputation for taking things in stride. My subconscious mind loves that visualization and works hard to make it come true.
- I force myself to take several deep breaths through my nose before responding. Often, this allows me to reconnect with my inner Buddha and let go of attachment issues that were created years ago and do not apply to the present moment.
- I ask myself “What is REALLY going on here?”. Often, the matter at hand is not the real issue, and there is no sense in creating hard feelings or a new problem. Perhaps the other person is having a hard time with his spouse or just received a tough diagnosis. In my experience, most everyone is going through something we know nothing about.
I urge you to try one or more of these strategies the next time you find your emotional water about to boil over.
If you need further assistance finding your inner peace, sign up for my FREE ebook in the right hand margin or click the button below and schedule a time to speak with me personally, and I’ll will gladly point you to other possible solutions for bringing out the best possible version of yourself as you move forward.